Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sparkley Snowflakes

We moved into our new house, had a wonderful visit from Grammy, and then my husband left for what will be almost 4 weeks (12 days to go!) The shock of it all has kept me from the computer, but I think it is safe to say I am back and in full on holiday art mode! My art space is starting to take shape in our new house and I can finally access all of our materials. It is not perfect yet, but it is going to be. We have made, are currently making, and will be making tons of fun projects. December always creeps up on me and leaves our house in a crafty disarray. We have glitter on the counters, gingerbread in the oven, and popsicle stick creations on the table. The first thing I want to share is a beautiful little snowflake made with wagon wheel pasta (uncooked of course).


To make this you need:



  • card stock


  • glue


  • marker


  • wagon wheel pasta (uncooked!)


  • white tempera paint


  • paint tray and brush


  • white glitterWe are fortunate here in Alaska to get a close look at snowflakes pretty regularly. We have been able to see that they are all different and that they have symmetrical patterns.

Start by drawing a simple snowflake shape on white card stock with a marker.


Next, glue the pasta over your lines.


Now sing a song, go outside, have a snack--do something for at least 10 minutes to let the glue set.


Paint with white tempera, brush with glue, sprinkle with glitter, shake off excess and you have a very lacy and very lovely snowflake.


Doing this with a group will result in many different designs. I must warn you that you will likely see more wagon wheel pasta projects in the coming weeks. I have never been much a the noodle art type, but I have been having fun adapting this activity.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for lots of holiday craft ideas! We are going to a crafting get together in a couple of weeks and I'm responsible for bringing two holiday projects for 3 six year old girls. Glad to hear you're getting settled!

    ReplyDelete