Friday, September 17, 2010

Little Blue and Little Yellow

Although I do not often post about books we read, I am one of those parents you do not want to be behind in the library line. We go about every week and fill a really big bag with books. We read a lot. Sometimes we just enjoy the story, sometimes we get inspired. Leo Lionni is one author/ illustrator who almost always inspires me. His books are simple and sweet enough to hold the interest of a toddler, yet intriguing enough for an older child to want to read again and again. His illustrations truly show what an artist he was.
My two and a half-year-old loves the book Little Blue and Little Yellow. It is a very simple and beautiful story about two little friends, who happen to be splashes of color, and what happens to them when they hug.
I will not give it away, as I am pretty sure you now what will happen when they hug.

What a perfect story to lead into some color mixing fun. Just a squirt of blue and a squirt of yellow. It took about 5 seconds for him to make the colors hug and blend to make green.
I love the scratches he made with the back of his paintbrush.

6 comments:

  1. This is a great post! You are a woman after my own heart. I found you on a link on The Artful Parent, which I read daily. I can't wait to come back and read more.
    Thanks!
    Jennifer (mama to 4 boys)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Jennifer. I too Love the Artful Parent:) I stopped by your blog the other day and cannot wait to go back and spend more time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's what we did with Little Blue & Little Yellow! :o) http://jennyrebecca.typepad.com/jenny_rebecca/2010/06/img_2650_web.html
    Love your blog title. ;o)
    Found my way here through Artful Parent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's what we did with Little Blue & Little Yellow! :o) http://jennyrebecca.typepad.com/jenny_rebecca/2010/06/img_2650_web.html
    Love your blog title. ;o)
    Found my way here through Artful Parent. Can't wait to try your paint version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book! I read it to my class near the beginning of the year and again a few weeks ago, substituting the color names in Spanish (b/c the Spanish teacher was working on color words too.) Can I say again how much I love this book? Thanks for sharing and always having inspiring ideas! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book. Thank you for your nice blog too!

    ReplyDelete