Friday, August 7, 2009

A Few Cute Dresses

A few months ago the Artful Parent inspired me to make dresses (for little ones) from old t-shirts and some new fabric. I have adapted that concept to make dresses using old t-shirts and old dresses and have not stopped. The entire process takes less than 30 minutes and is as easy as sewing a straight line. The best part is that I have been able to extend the life of some of our favorite dresses, ones too precious to part with, but too small to keep wearing. I am anxious to make a few more long sleeve and turtleneck dresses for the winter. I love this, and more importantly, Hollin loves it.




This particular dress was a too-big hand-me down. So, rather than wait for her to grow into it, I made it fit now. You need a dress and a shirt...

Decide how long you want the shirt portion and the skirt portion. Then cut off the excess material...

Pin right sides together and stitch...

Turn it right-side-out and trim. So easy and so cute.

A few of these were slightly more complicated in that they had a zipper or buttons to work around. I removed the buttons or zippers and sewed up the space. I was even able to keep the sash on a few. I am thoroughly obsessed!


1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to try this. I'm a terrible sewer, but I think I can manage this one!

    ReplyDelete